Thursday, 24 June 2010

DIY Leopard print nails tutorial


So, before I start the tutorial I must say that I have only recently been able to paint my nails, due to the fact that I have bitten them all my life resulting in little stumpy nails that you can't do anything with. About 4 months ago I decided to kick the habit and have had zillions of bright colours on my nails ever since. I was sticking to basic, plain colours until I saw Gem Fatale's WAH inspired leopard print nail tutorial, which you can see here and is a video so it may be easier for you to follow, but don't go away yet!

First things first, you need your tools. You need a base coat, a contrasting colour for the spots, liquid eyeliner and a clear varnish for a top coat. I have used OPI in Tangerine Scene for the base, Barry M Cyan Blue for the spots, Blink + Go waterproof liquid eyeliner and Elegant Touch clear varnish.


You need to apply your base coat, I've opted for bright orange for the base coat but I had mint green on yesterday with pink spots and that looked good too, so you can basically choose whichever colours you like. You'll probably need to do a couple of coats to make sure it has good coverage.


Once your base coat has dried, load up your contrasting varnish colour, with enough to make sure you get nice even blobs but not enough that you get lumpy leopard spots... You can make them as big or as little as you like but it always looks best if you have a mixture of the two.


After the spots have dried, whip out your liquid eyeliner (I'm using a waterproof one to make sure it stays where I put it but you can use any kind or colour of liner as long as you do a top coat) and put little lines/daubs around the spots. Three lines looks good but it's up to you really! Don't worry if they're not the neatest, leopard spots are always different anyway!


Make sure the eyeliner has dried properly and apply your clear top coat to seal everything in, if you're not using waterproof liquid eyeliner, make sure you apply the clear varnish quickly and carefully so not to smudge everything.

And then you should have leopard-y nails! I'm sure yours will be better than mine, if you do have a go at it, make sure to tweet or email me a picture and I'll link you up.

Good luck!

52 comments:

  1. This is so great! Great instruction - love it!

    xxMK
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIGH FIVE!! I actually watched that video you linked in the last post - so when I saw this I was like YAY she did it too! I also want to attempt this - and with the eyeliner! ;)

    KeepItFvncy,
    M.E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the tutorial, cute, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I love it! Going to give it a go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, this is quite brilliant! I'm bookmarking this post for when my nails have grown a bit more. (Unfortunately, exam stress inevitably involves nailbiting!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is great! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! I might attempt it tonight if i'm feeling brave. xo

    http://www.pearlslaceandruffles.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool !!!
    Beautiful blog !!!

    I follow You now ;)
    See you !

    http://loic-laugier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always painting my nails in off-the-wall styles and colours, so needless to say I love this post!

    Non-Stop-Fashion

    x

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow! thanks for the tutorial..
    so lovely!




    visit my blog:
    http://ladymitroz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for this instruction, i'll try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is so cute hun x
    and i love the quality of your photos :) xo
    tobes
    keep in touch

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's wicked babe!
    Thanks for posting :)

    XX Aleisha -No Rock Without Plastic

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this and I am definitely going to try it today with different colors! If it g=comes out good I will mention you in my post <3


    xo Lynzy
    http://fromskirtstoskillets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is SO COOL! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  16. loving the cleaner layout and those nails are GLORIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on stop bighting your nails, definitely worth it, since your leopard print nails are FANTASTIC. I absolutely love them:)SarahD

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing!! Love the bright colours you used. I think I'm going to try this out someday! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so crap with the whole decorating of nails thing. I can never be asked to wait long enough for the paint to dry, and I end up painting myself in the messy process, I even manage to get paint on my face.
    peace
    prettyneons

    P.S...that orange is gorge gorge gorge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! Clare that is SO COOL!!

    I always bite my nails and the skin around them - it is terrible. I tried nail varnish that is supposed to taste awful, but I found the taste didn't hit my mouth soon enough - so I still had time for a good gnaw!!! Terrible terrible.

    Charlotte xx

    The Style Rail

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tutorial Clare, I'm definitely going to try it tonight!!

    -jess
    http://darknightholdtight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh snap! I was looking at the polka dot step and thinking hahhhh that's never going to look like leopard print, but holy shit it does! I'm sorry to have doubted you, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post. Your nails look brilliant.
    And fantastic new look mam. Did you do that yourself? If so how? If not who helped you? Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just got your comment. Bloody brilliant. Well done. You are good. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooooooh amazing! I don't think I have a steady enough hand though... Maybe I can convince the boy to give me a manicure! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. fantastic!! thanks for sharing

    http://where-will-it-lead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. i just looked at more of your blog and it is great! i'm following you now! please check out my blog, i just started it and i think you might like it. i would love it it you followed me too :)

    http://where-will-it-lead.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. They look great! I'm on it asap. Can't believe you used liquid liner- great idea.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. that is actually the most incredible thing I've seen in a VERY long time. Thank you for completing my life.

    ReplyDelete
  30. OHhhh what a fun idea, and great tutorial :D Now I need to get a slim brushed nailpolish...hm!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Excellent stuff... if only I were patient enough to sit around and let my nails dry! Plus I'm too uncoordinated to use liquid eyeliner so I don't own any... but good post anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gorgeous! Love this ;D

    I want to try this but I'm afraid once school starts I'll have to remove it, rules :(

    Classique chérie

    ReplyDelete
  33. trop bien! moi j'en aurai mis partout ^^

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh i'm definitely gonna try this hon, my damned speakers are broke so i couldn't hear gem's vlog, so thank you for re-doing this in blog format

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  35. i just gave it a try and it looks kinda cool :o) thank you!!!
    smooches from germany!

    http://grapefruitprincess.blogspot.com/2010/06/thats-what-happens-when-im-bored.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry i don't speak english but i like your nails.

    ReplyDelete
  37. oooh i just did a post just like this haha! love the orange and blue, really want an orange polish but just realised i have a coral so might try this colour combo!xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is great idea that you have given to me because I love to do nail paint very much and I want to do something new that is why it is very nice idea. I will make some new designs also.
    mbt footwear

    ReplyDelete
  39. ooo the simplest leopard print nail tutorial ive seen. awesome. gonna link to it on my blog :)

    http://fuyumeuk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. omg you use eyeliner too! i've tried a few different methods, marker pen, old ballpoints dipped in nail polish among them, but my old Rimmel liquid liner is the easiest and best!:)
    also, KILLER combination. i stuck with a way more boring classic leopard when i tried it out myself.
    anyways, kudos, loving yo gorgeous blog!

    http://themirrorneverlies.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the tutorial! I just did it, and it looks amazing. I also found out that, if you don't have liquid eyeliner, you can use the brush from a Milani Nail Art bottle. You just wipe off the original color from the brush and dip it into another color or brand of nail polish. It looks almost exactly the same, too. Thanks for posting, and I love the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and hear about your blog, feel free to leave a link so I can comment back.

Lots of love,
Tweet xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails