Thursday, 25 February 2010

Hervia Bazaar - Plus Henry Holland, Atalanta Weller, Michael Lewis and Hannah Martin

Hello there! Right, I am apologising now as this is another interview post but it's interesting(ish) I promise! Basically, I got asked last minute by Manchester Fashion Network to go along to the press day for Hervia Bazaar which is opening tomorrow, it sounded amazing as it stocks designers who aren't stocked anywhere in England apart from London so having them up in Manchester is a proper treat. Anyway, so here are the interviews, I was happy to see some familiar faces and pleased to meet some new ones.

Henry Holland

What do you think about fashion in Manchester?
I’ve got two different perspectives of Manchester, one from when I lived here and one from more recent times. People are really into fashion up here, as well as lifestyle and culture. There is a definite sense of style up here compared to other cities I’ve been to. This shop is long overdue, it’s about time!

What do you associate with fashion in Manchester?
Nike Air. I was totally obsessed with trainers, they were always a big thing in my circle of friends, it may have been because I worked in a shoe shop now I come to think about it… I’m still a bit obsessed with trainers now, I have about 80 pairs. I’ve got the studded Louboutins for tonight!

What do you use as inspiration?
It differs from collection to collection, it can be anything like a film, music, culture, just anything you notice as I’m out and about. Street style is a great source of inspiration. There’s a sense of individuality and creativity, unique rather than following trends. It’s very different from North to South, up here people are a lot more interested in labels as soon as you get into London there’s more vintage and DIY stuff.

Would you ever follow suit with the BBC and consider moving your business up North?
I would definitely consider it, I’ve got lots of friends and family up here. But I’ve been in London for 12 years now so I feel at home there. The logisitics of it would be tricky though, with distribution and all that. I think I’d probably spend all my time on a train to London, I’d rather spend that time in bed to be honest.

What advice would you give to someone starting out in the fashion industry?
 Feel the fear and do it anyway. I started my entire company off the back of a joke, it was just something to keep me occupied on the side of my day job. It just kind of snowballed from there on, and because it was a side project I was able to have free reign and not really care about the consequences. I’m so lucky to be doing it full time now, it really is the best job in the World.
Visit his website by clicking here.


Atalanta Weller

What do you think about fashion in Manchester?
I think it’s really easy to get too focused on London, it’s great that more stores are moving up North and more designers’ work are available out of the capital, it’s nice to see people spreading out, it’s rather exciting!

What do you think is the future of fashion in Manchester?
I think there’s a lot of spending power in Manchester, there’s always so much going on and it’s good that peoples needs are being catered for now.

What do you use as inspiration?
My last collection was very graphics based, all my work is very strong and aerodynamic. I kind of design it for a really chic superhero really!

Would you ever follow suit with the BBC and consider moving your business up North?
Seeing as Britain has such a massive population for such a tiny country it’s ridiculous that fashion is all based in London. But to be honest, I’m from the South and work a in Europe a lot so I’m more likely to move abroad. I can do what I do anywhere really, it’s just personal circumstances rather than business.

What advice would you give to someone starting out in the fashion industry?
Get training! Work with as many people as you can, just do it! It never gets easier though, you just have to love it.
Visit her website by clicking here.



Hannah Martin

What do you think about fashion in Manchester?
I don’t know too much about it to be honest, I’m much more about the music up here. The club and music scene is really interesting, I imagine the fashion follows suit and it’s all underground and street based.

What do you associate with fashion in Manchester?
I associate it with the music scene and the style people develop from that. Also Vivienne Westwood! I’m just really happy to be featured in this store, this is the first place to stock my pieces outside of London.

What do you use as inspiration?
Every collection is different, I like to make mens jewellery for their girlfriends to steal. I usually make up a character like a Russian gangster or a pirate and then research into them to create a story.

Would you ever follow suit with the BBC and consider moving your business up North?
I’m so in love with London! I have got family up North so never say never but at the moment I’m settled. I would like to come here more often, it’s great to be stocked up here.

What advice would you give to someone starting out in the fashion industry?
Don’t do it… Only joking! You do have to work really, really hard. Just be flexible and be able to think on your feet. Nothing ever happens the way you plan it, you just have to be passionate. That’s the theory anyway!
Visit her website by clicking here.


Michael Lewis

What do you think about fashion in Manchester?
I don’t really remember actually, I used to live in Cheshire and still have family there but that was a long time ago. I’d associate it with street wear, like London but smartened up.

What do you think is the future of fashion in Manchester?
I think from meeting Oscar and Richard (the owners of Hervia Bazaar) I am so flattered to be featured in this project outside of London. People don’t really associate fashion and glamour with anywhere out of London. It’s really important to realise that there are other places that love fashion in the UK. I think it’s wrong that people don’t look further afield so it’s great to have this store, I think it will really help. We need more opportunities to get out of the box that is London!

What do you use as inspiration?
Every collection has a different theme, because I have less time and am on a budget now I use accessible things like film, art, theatres, galleries and museums for inspiration. At Louis Vuitton we used to go on extravagant research trips but we can’t really do that now. My most recent collection was inspired by 80’s car culture like the mechanics, seatbelts and leather. I’m a perfectionist really.

Would you ever follow suit with the BBC and consider moving your business up North?
Never say never! If there are opportunities in the market and my business takes off then there’s no reason why not. It’s not far to London from here anyway.

What advice would you give to someone starting out in the fashion industry?
Follow your heart, anything is possible!
Visit his website by clicking here.

If you're in Manchester and need some lovely designers to look at venture over there, visit the website for more details. I only have one more interview left after this to show you and then will get back to normal ramblings.

22 comments:

  1. i am probably a little bit green, i hope nobody walks into my room and sees me looking like THE INCREDIBLE HULK whilst reading this right now. brilliant pooooooost!

    Henry Holland is looking delectable, at any rate, and Hannah Martin even more so! i want her hair/face/outfit now. lucky lucky you!

    http://fanfareforlibrarians.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUCH an amazing post! WOW. And on a side note - how beautiful is Hannah Martin?

    wolfwhistle.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow so cool you got to interview & meet them! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never, (and probably never will, unfortunately) traveled anywhere in England outside of London, but regardless, a v. interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. agreed! incredible post! love lvoe henry holland and what he's one so far, a very interesting read.

    xx raez

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic post!!
    Of Hannah Martin, love her!!

    labyrinth
    http://labyrinthvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great to have a store like that outside of London. It's easy to assume that the fashion world revolves around London, but there are other cities that have so much to offer.
    I would love a shop like that in Nottingham, although I can't see that happening...
    Interesting interviews! Really enjoyed reading them.
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  8. AMAZING POST!
    IT'S THE FIRST TIME WE SEE YOUR BLOG...WE ARE IL LOVE!!! ^_^

    KISSES
    http://sisterslovefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post!

    Just thought I should let you know... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes, it was fine, no accident, it just died... and could not regain its life. it was terrible... we dont exactly have metros it the middle of missouri, so i'm not totally sure how i'm going to get around?

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love interviewing posts. esp. when they're about such interesting people! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an informative post! I know nothing about fashion in Manchester ... now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post! Sounds like an amazing experience to do those interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so crazy that Henry Holland associates Manchester with Nike trainers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. nice Blog! I'm a new follower : )

    please check out my blog too when you get a chance.
    www.the-blisslist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fab post girlie! This is such a fantastic interview.

    Have an awesome weekend,

    www.awonderingstar.com

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH MY GOD, how did I not notice these?! I love Henry Holland, seriously LOVE him haha :)

    LONDON--ROSE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you have more info about Hanna Martin? she is a complete genius! thanks for this interesting review.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts and hear about your blog, feel free to leave a link so I can comment back.

Lots of love,
Tweet xx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails